About the Recreation Department
The Recreation Department consists of the staff and resources to manage leisure activities and recreation facilities. Under Recreation Director Mario Fiorentini, they plan the acquisition, development and implementation of facilities and programs, and assist community organizations in providing leisure activities. The Recreation Department provides year-round leisure opportunities to improve the quality of life for all ages and capabilities.
The Recreation Department's Mission
To create community through people, parks and programs, we:
Provide Recreational Experiences. Through programmed and self-facilitated recreation, a variety of benefits to individuals and society are achieved. Recreational experiences are also important as an end in themselves for personal enjoyment.
- Foster Human Development. Parks and Recreation services foster social, intellectual, physical and emotional development.
- Promote Health and Wellness. Participation in recreation improves physical and emotional health.
- Increase Cultural Unity. Parks and Recreation increases cultural unity through experiences that promote cultural understanding and celebrate diversity.
- Facilitate Community-Problem solving. Parks and Recreation professionals have skills in facilitation and leadership that can be applied to resolve community problems and issues.
- Protect Natural Resources. By acquiring and protecting valuable resources as open space; wildlife and nature protection programs.
- Strengthen Safety and Security. Parks and Recreation professionals provide safe environments for recreation and design programs and services specifically to reduce criminal activity.
- Strengthen Community Image and Sense of Place. Parks, recreation facilities, programs and community events are key factors in strengthening community image and creating a sense of place.
- Support Economic Development. Recreation programs and facilities attract and retain businesses and residents, as well as attract tourists. Parks and recreation provides jobs and generates income for the community and for local businesses.